Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Master Joshua

“In terms of a disability, I don’t view myself as having a disability…I function like any other hearing person can. My deafness does not deprive me of anything. I can do anything I want. Except maybe sing.”  Summer Cider (Gallaudet University Recruiter)

It was a Saturday morning. I woke my husband up and told him he was going to be a dad for the second time. Our excitement grew and we could not wait to meet our little boy. 2 hours 45 mins latter we had him in our arms. Master Joshua was born on the 17th Jan 2009 and weighted almost 7lb. I held this little boy on my chest and told him how much I loved him. 

The next morning a nurse came and asked me if it was ok for her to take Master Joshua for a routine hearing test. I saw this as a time to eat my breakfast before my Husband and Master Noah came for a visit. When the nurse came back she told me my baby did not pass the test. My heart sunk. I then looked at my baby and cried. I realized that he never heard my first words. I then started grieving my child hearing.
  
I spent the first 12 months of his life grieving his hearing. I remember looking at this beautiful little boy and wondering what the use was talking to him. I remember holding him telling him I loved him and then crying because he could not hear it. I remember praying to God to take my hearing away and to give it to my son. I got angry with myself and I wondered what I did wrong.

Three years down the track and I have a very cleaver little boy. He runs, makes a mess, gives the best hugs and talks. He is just like any other three year old boy.



1 comment:

  1. he can see in your eyes that you love him, and see the response in his own eyes - you're a beautiful mamma

    ReplyDelete